Tuesday, December 29, 2009

I Don't Recommend the Bronchitis

Well we made it. There were times I had my doubts. The allergy sniffles I'd had for a couple weeks evolved into a nasty case of bronchitis they day before we were supposed to depart Las Vegas. While I know now that it's possible to load a truck, drive it 700 miles through a blizzard, and unload it, all while breathing at a greatly reduced capacity and hacking disgusting stuff out of one's lungs, I can hardly recommend it as a regular practice. It did make for an interesting Christmas Eve. The antibiotics eventually did their job, and I'm busily unpacking and setting things up.

As much as the wife and I love it here, the dogs aren't the least bit pleased. I'm guessing they miss the warmth of Las Vegas, and having a yard that isn't under several inches of snow. They've elevated misbehavior to a high art, so we're locked in a battle of wills. I'm hoping that several thousand years of animal domestication by humans means the odds are in my favor.

Amidst all the unpacking, we've made several forays into the community to set up utilities, change our driver's licenses and whatnot. We thought Las Vegas was a pretty hospital place, but the folks of Glenwood Springs are almost freakishly friendly. Better yet, they're efficient, an attribute we've not experienced for some time, and certainly weren't expecting in a resort community.

Classes start in just over a week, so I've got a lot to do. I'm trusting that things will continue to go smoothly. I feel almost guilty for the opportunity to live in such a beautiful place and do what I love doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment