Saturday, August 7, 2010

The Fall Semester is Just Around the Corner

I’ve had a busy summer. Getting the modified curriculum in place for the upcoming semester dominated most of my time, but well offer rich rewards once classes begin. I’m confident that students will appreciate and respond to the new approach. They’ll be very busy, but I believe they will quickly see the results of their efforts, and consider it very much worth their effort.

Some CMC colleagues and I attended a Higher Learning Commission conference on assessment in Chicago in late July. It was informative, invigorating, and challenging. I feel good about the assessment protocols I’m building into the Graphic Design program. I feel we’ll be well prepared to demonstrate effectiveness at both a program and a classroom level.

The Mac labs are having Adobe Creative Suite 5 installed this month. I’ve been playing with the new features. Pretty appealing stuff. And I've not encountered any glitches, so it looks like Adobe produced a solid upgrade. My grant application was successful, so all the Macs will be getting new Wacom pen/gesture tablets, several more flatbed scanners, and a big new Wacom pressure-sensitive monitor, which will be very exciting for traditional media artists.

The student-designed Graphic Design Program website is now live at design.coloradomtn.edu.

Amidst all the work, I found some time to hang out with the kids this summer. The high point of the summer was a white water rafting trip. My collegiate son also did some “moonlight river tubing”, which struck me as especially risky. But he managed to survive, and claims it was safe and sane. I don’t believe him for a minute. I think he was just very lucky. My middle son wants to me to join him for kayaking lessons this fall, which sounds like fun.

A new computer store featuring Macs opened last week in downtown Glenwood Springs. It will be great to have a certified Mac technician in the area.

No comments:

Post a Comment